Wednesday, October 15, 2008

One Sick Little Girl


I just want to start by saying I sure do not miss the nights of having to get up with a little baby. Last night was a big reminder on how much I need and love my sleep. Madison decided to spike a fever yesterday afternoon, I think at that point it was 102. I gave her some Motrin and it didn't seem to bring it down. So I did Tylenol about 2 hours after the Motrin. This seem to bring it down. She seemed to be perking up a little bit. I figured it was just teething. Well at 2 am she wakes up and is on fire. We put her in bed with us and she tossed and turned for about an hour. Around 3 I gave her some Tylenol and some water. She kept saying "wa wa", meaning water. Well, the water and I am guessing the Tylenol didn't stay down. I was wearing everything she had just drank. We got everything situated and took her temperature. Under the arm it was 103.1. HOLY CRAP! So actually it was 104.1 (all you moms know we need to add 1 degree to under the arm temperature) More Motrin and Mike suggested I take her in. So we ended up in the ER at 3:30. By the time we got there her temp was 103.4. They did a chest x-ray, an urine sample, and checked ears and throat. Everything came back good, so it's just a good ole' viral infection, which we have to let "run it's course." We were home by 6 am. Just in time to see Mike off to work and Ryan was getting up! I was hoping t get some sleep but that didn't happen. So needless to say, today was a very lazy day and all of us never got out of our PJ's. I think we pretty much laid on the couch all day. Madison still has the fever, although it has came down, it's only 103. 2 now. I just hope she starts to feel better soon. I just worry so much when babies get such a high fever. The doctors always say not to worry about high temperatures, but I still do! Let's just hope we get some what of a good night sleep tonight!!

4 comments:

jennie said...

I freaked when I got your email and it said you guys were at the ER!

I swear, I never even had a thermometer until Teagen was born.Summer had never gone to the DR except for well baby visits(until she started school)so I didnt worry about it. Then I got one of those high quality ear ones and I am constantly taking temps(my own included!)We've seen 103 only a couple times and its scary for SURE.

I hope you get some sleep tonight and that she is better. They can change on a dime, and get right back to normal.

I cant believe all the stuff they did in the ER. Poor baby!

Theresa said...

WOW!!! it has been a while since my children have gotten a temp that high!!! ANd it sure is scary!!! it sure helps that we live a block from the ER!!!

You could try a luke warm bath and let her air dry!!! when the water evaporates it will cool her off...I hove done that many, MANY, times with all 4 of mine, when their temps were over 101! it helped!!!

Jennifer Witham Buck / Graceful Expressions said...

what a night...
I am hoping that things settle down for all of you and you get a good night's rest.
Poor thing... it is never fun when little one's (or big one's) are sick - especially with a scary high fever.

hien k. d. said...

poor Madison, Mandy! i hope that she (and you) are feeling better today. i get worried about high fevers, too. ;) although, fevers in my patient population can mean a very different thing.

truthfully, i haven't seen a pediatric patient since my pediatrics rotation in medical school. so i don't know much about kids. when my little nieces or nephews get fevers that high, i always get nervous and tell them to go to the ED, too. (better to be safer, really!) - and around the clock motrin and tylenol to keep the fevers down. :) have a restful day...