Monday, September 22, 2008

No More Paci for Madison


Mike and I decided that this past weekend would be "The Weekend" to take the pacifier away from Madison. We wanted to do this when she turned a year old, but just kept pushing it back. With Ryan, we took it away at exactly 1 year. It was tough! He would cry and I would cry. I swore I would never give my next baby a pacifier. I think it took about a week of crying ourselves to sleep, but then it was done and he didn't miss it. Now it is Madison's turn. I think we were really dreading taking it away because of how difficult it was with Ryan. So every weekend would roll around and we would make up some type of excuse why we couldn't do it. Well, Mike finally said to me, we are taking it away on Friday night. I agreed, but could only imagine what this would bring. Well, Friday night she went to bed and it was only about 25 minutes of whining, not full crying. OK one night done! On to Saturday at nap time. It was tough. She would yell "Mama, Mama, Mama," it brought tears to my eyes. Then when she realized I was not coming to get her, it turned to "Dada, Dada, Dada." Eventually the tears stopped and she went to sleep. The rest of the weekend went great! She did wonderful. Hardly no tears at all...and today at nap time, no tears either. I am hoping this is not a fluke and she is going to make this easy on us!

Taking the pacifier away "cold turkey" is hard, but in my opinion it's the only way to go. I know, just like everything else we do, everyone will always say it's much hard on us parents than it is on the kids, but boy do they know how to make us feel guilty!! Let's just hope the rest of the week goes smoothly and she forgets she even had that ugly "thing".


10 comments:

hien k. d. said...

congrats on promoting pacifier freedom. ;) this picture of Madison is so cute, Mandy! thanks for reading my blog, i'm glad you like it. i like yours, too. hope that things are going well!

Stefanie said...

Hi Mandy :) So great to hear from you... thank you so much for your comments. Your daughter is adorable... I love the little bow on the top of her head!
Madison is a name we were seriously considering, but somehow it morphed into a combination of Madison & Emma = Emerson (the "math" doesn't quite add up, but hey I was pregnant and tired!).

Jennifer Witham Buck / Graceful Expressions said...

She won't miss it after a few days... Annie had Emma give up her Paci by leaving it under the Christmas tree for Santa to take back with him.. I can't believe how old she is getting..
I got to babysit Luke Saturday night - last minute - Annie & Kyle took Em to the circus, and she loved it and I loved spending every minute with Luke! We need another Fricano's night soon...Mom's birthday is coming up - maybe a little suprise party at Fricano's? What do you think? I don't think she has ever had a party and this year is double nickels!!!

Lisa said...

Great job sticking with it! It's so hard when they are calling out to you for something and not giving in. I wish I would have taken Parker's away at a year, because it just gets harder the older they get. Cute cute cute pictures!

Theresa said...

So glad it worked out!!! we never used that "THING"! But the ones who suck their 2 fingers (all but Sam) still do...that is going to be a tough one to break!!! at least with a paci, you can take it away!! I cannot take away their fingers!!!

jennie said...

Summer was our only binky baby, the other 2 used me as a pacifier! It took us forever to take it away. I knew I didnt want a big kid with a binky, but it held on at night until after her 3rd birthday. Ugghh.

Good job for being tough. She really knew how to tug at your heartstrings!

jennie said...

I just realized I wrote that it was her 3rd birthday but actually it was only her 2nd birthday. Still not great but better than a 3 year old with a binky!

Shelly said...

Hailey was my paci baby, she loved it but on a trip to Florida we lost all of her "binks", so I said tough luck and she actually did good. My sister just broke her almost 2 year old from a pacifier and it was really hard, she still asks for her paci when she's sleepy. Hope she is still doing well. Hang in there, this parenting thing is anything but easy!!

Kristin said...

Good job fir making a plan and sticking to it. It is very easy to make excuses and put it off. Trust me, I have two five year olds and a three year old that suck their thumb. I know...NOT GOOD!!! Alli just does it on occasions, Ash when she is tired, Isaac ALL the time!!! What I would do to get rid of thumbs!!!! Just about anything!!!

Good job Madison for being such a big girl!!

Not your Happily Ever After said...

All of our kids did pacifiers including baby Abby. I don't think it's a horable thing to let them have it longer than a year old. We had two that hung on until 2 1/2 and the other two were around 2. Good job on doing it cold Turkey. We learned with our third baby that was the way to do it. It's rough the first few days but after a week or two they forget they ever had it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she keeps sleeping well for you.